Virtual Bookworm

playing book club online

Wednesday, May 03, 2006

May's Book

Okay, since I have been given the green light, I thought that we could have Girl in Hyacinth Blue by Susan Vreeland (1999, Penguin Books) as our book for May. The blurb on the back says:

A professor invites a colleague from the art department to his home to see a painting that he has kept secret for decades. The professor swears it is a Vermeer - why has he hidden this important work for so long? The reasons unfold in a series of stories that trace ownership of the painting back to World War II and Amsterdam, and still further back to the moment of the work's inspiration. As the painting moves through each owner's hands, what was long hidden quietly surfaces, illuminating poignant moments in human lives. Vreeland's characters remind us, through their love of the mysterious painting, how beauty transforms and why we reach for it, what lasts, and what in our lives is singular and unforgettable.

Go forth and read!!

10 Comments:

Blogger Clementine said...

Hey JPP, did you get a BPL card yet?

12:54 PM  
Blogger Hashbrown said...

AJWP picked up two copies for us at the library yesterday. Hurray for the Library!!

11:06 AM  
Blogger Psycho Kitty said...

Swell! I'm on it...

2:03 AM  
Blogger nancycle said...

You all are too cute...Just reading the last series of comments. I want in on the next book! (reading, not recommending ;-))

8:23 AM  
Blogger Canada said...

You can get in on this one - go forth and read!

8:25 AM  
Blogger Clementine said...

Hey Nancycle,

Do you want to be listed as a contributor? If so, please let me know your email address and I'll send you an invite to join us.

Thanks,
AJWP

1:22 PM  
Blogger Clementine said...

I finished this bad boy last night. DYING to discuss it....

1:23 PM  
Blogger Hashbrown said...

Maybe I should break my other leg so I have time to read the book. On second though, NO.

4:38 PM  
Blogger Canada said...

I'm done, too.

10:45 PM  
Blogger nancycle said...

Thanks AJWP! That would be great.

My public e-mail address is:

thewiseofthebluehedgehog@hotmail.com

(don't ask, my son picked it out)

Canada, I'm on the Da Vinci Code right now.

Thanks ladies!

Nancycle

9:04 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home